Monday, May 30, 2011

Manhattan Beach Sunday

On Sunday morning, we awoke to a sunny sky, calm lake and promise of a beautiful day at Manhattan Beach Lodge on the Whitefish chain. Bob and I went to 7:30 Mass where I succumbed to the temptation of looking at the pictures on my camera during the homily. I felt quite undetected until Bob's reprimand: he accused me -- wrongly, I think -- of distracting the assembled faithful. So much for that caper.

After breakfast at Pine Peaks, we launched the boat and I made my little contribution to the effort by driving the Traverse and trailer back from the ramp to Manhattan Beach. This is the task that filled me with terror as recently as two years ago, so I'm inordinately proud of  this achievement that could easily be managed by a new driver.

We were eager to get out on the lake, empty now, except for a few fishermen. Ever optimistic, I wore long pants and several jacket layers over my swimsuit (how crazy am I?), I took my favorite spot in the bow. John, Trudy and the boys soon joined us, but by then the sky was totally overcast and while the boat ride was fun, we were all chilled and returned to the dock before noon.

We all -- Bob, Scott, Meggan, John, Trudy, Adam, Mitchell, Chris and I -- spent the afternoon on the grass on chairs borrowed from the restaurant patio. In the early afternoon, we were joined by Matt Beam and his girlfriend, Leann. Scott and Adam hauled over a portable fire ring We gathered firewood and Scott built a fire; the resort dock staff weren't working in the inclement weather but there were plenty of boats looking for space, so Mitchell entertained himself with dock boy duties that earned him $13, as well as a good education in customer service. One of Mitchell's customers, a former dock boy himself, taught him to tie what looked like a clove hitch. I was disappointed not to be on the water, but the afternoon was very pleasant and entertaining.

After an afternoon of beverages and snacks, the weather hadn't cleared so the boys took a couple of quick rides and both Scott and John pulled their boats out of the water. By then, it was after 7 and we ended up staying at Manhattan Beach for dinner. Although the meal got off to a rocky start with a long wait for a table, we had a half decent meal. The best server in the restaurant brought drinks, bread and salad/soup very quickly and my frustration dispelled. A pleasant evening.

We woke up to more rain and I don't think the forecast of 80+ degrees is accurate. Everyone else is packing up to leave but we are scheduled to stay another night. With wind, more rain and T-storms in store later in the day, I would rather go home, but of course traffic may be horrendous and we may stay the night, as planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment