Saturday, August 26, 2017

Lake Michigan Road Trip 2017: Harley Museum

Photos.

I've been drawn to the world famous Harley Museum for a long time -- not quite a bucket list item, but close.

Gas tanks over the years

Harley Davidson Museum, Milwaukee
The Harley faithful were there in full force, most in Harley regalia, some on their bikes. The museum felt like the stop at St. Peter's Basilica on a visit to Rome. Finally, home! The exhibits are well laid pit and cover both history and popular interest. The interactive technical displays are particularly helpful to both the educated (Bob) and the ignorant (me). I had no idea that Harley racing was, and perhaps is yet, such a big deal. The Race of Gentlemen, a seasonal exhibit, is also very interesting but my brain was already on information overload by the time we got to it, so my appreciation was limited.

The video on Harley's more recent history and near tumble into bankruptcy in the 1980s is very well done. As always, I was amazed by Harley's ability to market its main product and accessories. It's a great stop, especially for anyone interested in American automotive and motorcycle history.

No comments:

Post a Comment